Becoming a school governor through Barclays
Governors for Schools is working with Barclays to support employees in becoming school governors. We’ll match your skills and experience with a school board that needs someone like you.Start your application
We’re delighted to be working with Governors for Schools, to encourage Barclays employees to volunteer their skills to support their local schools at such an important time. A number of our employees are already active school governors and I look forward to seeing even more take part through the partnership.
Kirstie Mackey, Head of Citizenship & Consumer Affairs at Barclays
About the role
School governors have 3 main responsibilities:
- Planning the strategic direction of the school
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and ensuring money is well spent
- Holding the headteacher or school leadership to account
Track your development
As a Barclays employee, you’ll have exclusive access to our Skills Development Tracker to record your progress as a governor.
Using the tracker, you can:
- Measure hours spent in the role, log specific responsibilities you’ve carried out, and keep a record of the variety of projects you’ve been part of
- Download your activity log to take to appraisals and demonstrate your work
- Gain access to additional training resources
You’ll have access to the tracker as soon as you’re placed on a governing board.
Support for governors
Our training and resources are there to get you up to speed, so that you’re effective from your first day in the role. Your professional experience at Barclays will benefit a school – you don’t have to know all the acronyms by your first meeting. The majority of our volunteers are first time governors, and schools need this outside perspective to ensure robust decision making.