Becoming a school governor through Heathrow
Governors for Schools is working with Heathrow to support colleagues become school and college governors in Heathrow’s local community. Sign up today and we’ll match your skills and experience with a school looking for someone like you..Start your application
“Becoming a school or college governor is a hugely rewarding experience for colleagues and is a great development opportunity for skills such as leadership, teamwork and strategic thinking. We all have a part to play in making Heathrow a great place to live and work, and as a proud governor at UTC Heathrow in Northwood, I’ve been able to contribute to the life of a flourishing school.”
Paula Stannett, Chief People Officer at Heathrow.
About the role
School governors have 3 main responsibilities:
- Planning the strategic direction of the school
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and ensuring money is well spent
- Holding the headteacher or school leadership to account
Track your development
As a Heathrow employee, you’ll have exclusive access to our Skills Development Tracker to record your progress as a governor.
Using the tracker, you can:
- Measure hours spent in the role, log specific responsibilities you’ve carried out, and keep a record of the variety of projects you’ve been part of
- Download your activity log to take to appraisals and demonstrate your work
- Gain access to additional training resources
You’ll have access to the tracker as soon as you’re placed on a governing board.
Support for governors
Our training and resources are there to get you up to speed, so that you’re effective from your first day in the role. Your professional experience at Heathrow will benefit a school – you don’t have to know all the acronyms by your first meeting. The majority of our volunteers are first time governors, and schools need this outside perspective to ensure robust decision making.
As a Heathrow colleague you will be given access to Governors for Schools governor induction eLearning series designed to give you all the information you need to hit the ground running in your new role.