Governors for Schools is delighted that The Office for Students (OfS) has recognised our organisation as a valuable resource for higher education providers looking to establish governor networks and programmes. We’re included in the organisation’s best practice guidance for universities looking to create Access and Participation Plans (APPs).
Such plans – which determine whether universities can charge higher tuition fees – are designed to track universities’ efforts in helping underrepresented communities access and thrive within higher education. As a charity, we’re dedicated to improving educational standards and look forward to building more excellent relationships with universities to support this aim.
As you may be aware, Governors for Schools works hard to support the creation of governor staff networks across the country, as we believe that university staff and alumni are well-placed to deliver outstanding governance. As well as enhancing universities’ social impact, we introduce staff and alumni to governance opportunities that will boost their professional development.
With the APP deadline approaching on Sunday, 31st July, university leaders and higher education professionals may be searching for partners to aid their widening participation endeavours. If your university is yet to establish a governor network, we encourage you to approach Governors for Schools for support. You’ll be joining a growing cohort of top universities across England and Wales that currently benefit from our services, including the University of Manchester, the University of Exeter, the University of Cardiff, and many more.
How can we help?
When developing a new partnership with a university, we pursue the following steps:
- You’ll be assigned a dedicated point of contact to help you encourage staff and alumni to become governors through bespoke communications and hosted webinars.
- We’ll take the reins regarding governor applications, guiding your staff members and alumni through the process.
- We’ll provide detailed and metrics-driven impact reports about the difference your involvement makes to pupils across the country.
- We’ll help you to set up a governor network to support volunteers in their governance roles.
- You’ll have access to our Skills Development Tracker, which allows your staff and alumni to record how many hours they’ve contributed to governance, as well as the skills they’ve learned.
We’ll also provide networking opportunities, communications support, governor resources, and more. There’s never been a better time to get involved and introduce your staff and alumni to the rewarding world of governance.
Get in touch to discuss partnership opportunities
To find out more about APPs and the difference our current university partnerships are making, please visit our website. If you would like to discuss how governance may enhance your APP, please contact us at [email protected].