Becoming a school governor through Deloitte
Governors for Schools is working with Deloitte to support employees in becoming school governors. We’ll match your skills and experience with a school board that needs someone like you.Start your application
“Now more than ever, good school governance will be vital in supporting school leaders to make decisions that are right for children, parents, school staff, and our communities. That’s why Deloitte is proud to join Governors for Schools in providing skilled volunteers to take on school governor roles across the country, making a positive impact where it really matters.”
Nick Owen, Chairman of Deloitte UK
About the role
School governors have 3 main responsibilities:
- Planning the strategic direction of the school
- Overseeing financial performance of the school and ensuring money is well spent
- Holding the headteacher or school leadership to account
A governor’s relationship with the school’s leadership team involves challenging existing processes to drive school improvement. Governors usually attend around six meetings per year. Although becoming a governor requires drive and commitment, you’ll enjoy many professional and personal rewards, including career development opportunities and the chance to support young people’s futures.
Watch this short video to learn a little more about the impact you can have.
Track your development
As a Deloitte employee, you’ll be given additional support in becoming a governor through our partnership with Governors for Schools.
You will receive;
- Free access to the Governors for Schools premium eLearning resource “Become an Effective New Governor” shortly after you apply.
- Access to Governors for Schools Skills Development Tracker to track your development as a governor and reflect on your time spent in role.
- Access to additional training events such as the termly Business Governor Network and longer form training series designed to ensure you are up to date with the education sector
All volunteers will receive a named point of contact who will work with you to find you the right opportunity at a school needing someone with your experience and perspective. They will be more than happy to talk through any questions you may have about the role and the process.
Support for governors
Our training and resources are there to get you up to speed, so that you’re effective from your first day in the role. Your professional experience at Deloitte will benefit a school – you don’t have to know all the acronyms by your first meeting. The majority of our volunteers are first time governors, and schools need this outside perspective to ensure robust decision making.